Many bloggers have recently been writing about Bucket Lists. A fellow blogger, Sylvia Morice chose to turn that empty bucket into a list of completed Bucket List items. I like the idea of focusing on the blessings we have received rather than that which is not yet ready to “bloom.” Thus, I started my own list of blooms in my bucket. Looking back on my life I am grateful for these experiences:
1. I live a mile from the beach on the coast of Maine
2. I heard Pavarotti sing his first comedic opera (L’Elisir di Amore) at the Metropolitan Opera
3. I have always been loved and supported by those around me
4. While on a trip to France I:
- Walked through Monet’s gardens in Giverney
- Visited the Louve, the Musee d’Orsay, the Pompidou Art Center, Sainte Chapelle, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Champs Élysées, the Arc de Triomphe , Montmarte and the Basilique du Sacré Cœr and Versailles
5. I Met Ansel Adams
6. I Saw Katharine Hepburn on stage
8. I have collected 12 place settings of handmade pottery from potters in America, Ireland and the Netherlands… and donated my mass produced dishes to Goodwill
9. While on a trip to the Netherlands I:
- Visited a diamond factory and got to “play with” the diamond rings
- Visited Rembrandt’s house
- Bought, and can walk in, wooden shoes
- Visited Delft and watched the artists at work, selecting several small pieces that
wanted to move to America
- Visited the fields of tulips in bloom
10. I flew in a single engine plane over Louis, MO
11. I sang with Marion Williams in a gospel workshop
12. Watercolor was a medium that always challenged me. I created a self-imposed goal of creating a watercolor I could exhibit with pride. I created a painting of Pebble Beach on Monhegan Island which was in a show at the Saco Museum in Maine
13. While on a trip to Ireland I:
- Visited Northern Ireland on the day of the election resulting from the Good Friday Agreement
- Sat on the edge of the Cliffs of Moher with my feet dangling 390 feet above the Atlantic Ocean
- Raised a pint in numerous pubs
- Followed the path of Patrick Pearse, leader of the Easter Uprising of 1916, poet and an educator decades ahead of the rest of the world
14. Saw a moose that was not in the “wildlife park.”
15. Spent a weekend in the World Trade Center hotel in New York in a photography workshop.
16. Was the co-owner/designer of a business, Christmas, Etc. designing and creating much of the merchandise
18. Saw Michaelangelo’s Pietá at the New York World’s Fair
19. Have been blessed with jobs that met my creative needs and allowed me to put my knowledge and experience to work
20. Presented workshops at 2 national and numerous state professional conventions
21. Was privileged to be able to participate in Pow-Wows with fellow graduate students in education at Penn State. They represented the Navaho, Hopi, and Kiowa nations.
22. Have visited and walked through Christina Olson’s house as well as Karl Keurner’s home ~ walking through Andrew Wyeth paintings. I have watched Jamie Wyeth painting a portrait on the deck of his home on Monhegan Island
23. I have hiked through the Cathedral Woods and the high cliffs rising above the sea on Monhegan Island following rock cairns for direction and taken a tidal pool tour tasting sea urchin
24. I have watched Charles Dent live his dream in the construction of Leonardo da Vinci’s Horse and donated the horse to the Italian people.
25. Have been educated and mentored by masters in their field
26. Spent an incredible evening with Dr. Selma Burke, an African American sculptor whose life spanned the 20th century. She was an integral part of the Harlem Renaissance and touched the lives of the most influential creative people of the 20th century. Her most notable work was the bust of Franklin Delano Roosevelt which appears on the dime. I am working on a book about her.
Indeed, I have not lived a life with my bucket half empty. While there are still goals and dreams to pursue I am comfortable with the knowledge that the new blooms in the bucket will avail themselves at the appropriate time.
What’s blooming in your bucket??